Monday, November 17, 2008

Book Review: The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh

The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh is another well-written book describing the journey on the Mayflower and the founding of Plymouth by the Pilgrims. This book sort of tells the story from the perspective of the three Hopkins children.

I say sort of because it uses a third-person narrative voice but includes details sure to capture a child's interest. I am a little disappointed because I thought it would use the voice of one of the children to explain the story of the Pilgrims.

While the illustrations by Helen Sewell don't appeal to me, the book was awarded a Caldecott Honor Award.

Don't let my unfulfilled expectations deter you from this book. For a general outline of the Pilgrim story this is a quality book worth having in your library, though not necessarily a must-have book.

No comments: