Sunday, November 16, 2008

Book Review: The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern uses simple language to tell the story of the Pilgrims. Though it doesn't maintain a child's perspective throughout the book, it does emphasize details sure to interest children. Like the lack of toys on board the Mayflower. And the jobs children had in the new village of Plymouth.

I wouldn't say this book is a must have but if you are looking for a book to tell the general story of the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving on a preschool or early elementary level, this one does just that. Filled with color and activity the illustrations will also hold the interest of young readers.

You may find it helpful to know this book is a Scholastic paperback. If you are looking for Thanksgiving activities Scholastic has pages of recommendations. I wish I had found their site when I wrote my Thanksgiving lesson plans!

No comments: